Death toll now 20 in Ikoyi building collapse

SHARE

The death toll in the Ikoyi building collapse has risen to 20 even as more survivors were rescued from the rubbles.

While four persons were killed and five others rescued as of Monday night, the death toll and number of survivors rose on Tuesday as rescue efforts continued through the night.

Spokesman of the National Emergency Management Agency said 16 more bodies have been recovered.

He added that five more persons trapped under the rubble have been rescued by emergency responders at the scene.

This brings the total figures of those killed and rescued so far to 20 and 10 respectively.

The Deputy Governor of Lagos, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, who visited the site amid tight security, explained that the premise of the collapsed building has been sealed by the government agency in charge of testing, for more investigation into the integrity of the structure.

Emergency workers have intensified rescue operations as more people are believed to be trapped under the rubble.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:  EFCC seals Kwankwaso’s property in Kano

Lagos State governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the suspension of General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, LASBCA, Mr. Gbolahan Oki.

A statement by Gbenga Omotoso, the state’s Commissioner for Information and Strategy, on Tuesday, stated that Oki’s suspension takes immediate effect.

The suspension followed the Monday collapse of a 21-storey building on Gerrard Road, Ikoyi area of the state.

In order to ascertain the what went wrong with the building and punish those indicted, the Lagos State Government said an independent panel will be constituted.

Members of the panel, according to the statement, shall be drawn from the Nigeria Institute of Architects, NIA, Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, NITP, Nigeria Society of Engineers, NSE, and other related professional bodies.

Omotoso said the panel will independently investigate the remote and immediate causes of the incident and make recommendations on how to prevent future occurrence.

Governor Sanwo-Olu said the government will surely find out what went wrong and punish those indicted.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:  FEC approves N1.33bn projects for Plateau Varsity, Customs

 9 total views,  2 views today

Advertisements
Advertisements