Trump Says ‘All Is Well’ After Iranian Missiles Target US Troops

SHARE

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said that initial casualty assessments indicated “all is well” after Iranian missiles targeted two bases housing US troops in Iraq.

Advertisements

He tweeted that “assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good!”

Advertisements

Trump did not go on evening television to address the nation — something of an informal presidential tradition in times of foreign policy crisis — in the immediate hours following Iran’s missile strikes.

Advertisements

However, he said to expect a statement early Wednesday in Washington.

Advertisements
Advertisements

“I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” he said.

Advertisements

Reports said Iran launched a missile attack on an Iraqi airbase where US force are based, threatening further attacks. It said the missiles were in response to a US strike last week that killed Iranian general Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi top commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.

Advertisements

Security sources told AFP that nine rockets hit the sprawling Ain al-Asad airbase in the country’s west, the largest of the Iraqi military compounds where foreign troops are based.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:  Hoodlums bomb Police Zonal Headquarters in Anambra

The attack came in three waves just after midnight, the sources said.

Iran swiftly claimed responsibility for the attack, with state TV saying it had launched “tens of missiles” on the base and promised “more crushing responses” if the US carried out further strikes.

The Pentagon said Iran had fired more than a dozen missiles against Ain al-Asad and another installation hosting US and coalition forces near Arbil.

 37 total views,  2 views today

Advertisements