FG unveils plan for modular refinery

The Federal Government has indicated that the first phase of the Waltersmith Modular Refinery project in Ohaji/Egbema Local Government Area of Imo State will be completed by May 2020.

The, Waltersmith project, already at 90 percent completion, is in tandem with the Federal Government’s resolve to foster private sector participation in increasing domestic refinery capacity.

The project reached Final Investment Decision in September 2018 with an 18-month delivery time from November 2018 to May 2020, for phase one.

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva who gave the hint during an inspection visit to the project site, said phase one of the project and the ground breaking ceremony of the phase two is expected to hold in May 2020.

Accompanied by Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Content Development Monitoring Board, NCDMB, Engr. Simbi Wabote, the minister reassured Nigerians that the Federal Government would continue its efforts to ensure that the project meets the set deadline.

Silver disclosed that phase one of the project on completion will produce 5,000 bpd, while the phase two is targeted at delivering 25,000 bpd crude. The plant is a condensate refinery designed to produce gasoline, diesel, LPG, kerosene and aviation fuel.

The refinery is being constructed on a Public-Public-Partnership arrangement with Waltersmith, a wholly owned Nigerian integrated energy company holding a 70 percent interest while NCDMB holds the remaining 30 percent.

AbdulRazaq Isa, Chairman of Waltersmith said the project’s first phase would create several direct and indirect jobs for the host community and that it is expected to contribute an estimated 271 million litres of refined products including Diesel, Naphtha, HFO and Kerosene annually to the domestic market.

Open chat