564 persons recover from Meningitis in Yobe

Yobe State Disease Surveillance Officer, Primary Healthcare Management Board, Haruna Umar has said more than 564 patients out of the 636 recorded cases of meningitis outbreak in the state have recovered.

Umar, who disclosed this on Monday in Damaturu said 22 deaths had been recorded with 564 patients fully recovered while the remaining 50 were being observed and managed at isolation centers.

Umar noted that the first suspected case was reported on Dec 24, 2023 and confirmed on Jan 26, adding that the 636 cases were recorded across six local government areas of Machina, Nangere, Fika, Fune, Potiskum and Gujba.

READ ALSO: Business community holds special prayer against inflation, high cost of living in Yobe

The health official assured that the government had taken proactive measures to curb the spread of the disease in the state.

“The government has established treatment centers in the affected LGAs, including temporary isolation camps in some secondary schools

“The government has also engaged 18 ad hoc staff, including two medical doctors at the isolation centers, among other measures,” Umar added.

Credible News reports that twenty students died in three boarding girls’ secondary schools and the Federal Government Girls’ College in Potiskum and Fika local government areas of Yobe State from the outbreak of meningitis.

A similar outbreak had killed many residents of Degubi community in Fika Local Government Area of the state in April 2023.

Credible News.ng

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *