Liverpool and Manchester City draw 1-1 in Premier League thriller

Alexis Mac Allister converted a second-half penalty, helping Liverpool secure a point against Manchester City in a thrilling 1-1 Premier League clash at Anfield on Sunday.

With this result, Arsenal remains at the top of the table.

In a thrilling three-way title race, Liverpool and Arsenal are tied for second place with 64 points each, while Manchester City, unbeaten in 21 games, is third with 63 points. Arsenal took the lead after defeating Brentford 2-1 on Saturday.


Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp praised his team’s performance after their game against Manchester City, describing it as “sensational.” He highlighted that the second half was their best performance against Manchester City, emphasizing the exceptional nature of the football game.


Manchester City initially seemed set to secure a victory at Anfield, with John Stones scoring from Kevin De Bruyne’s corner in the 23rd minute. Stones celebrated by leaping onto the barrier in front of the visitors’ fans, showing his excitement. Klopp insisted that the incident was a clear penalty, believing it deserved a yellow card. He expressed frustration that the VAR did not review the decision despite what he saw as a clear foul.


Van Dijk, on the other hand, felt bittersweet about the result. He noted that Liverpool had good chances to win, especially in the second half. Despite their efforts, they couldn’t secure the victory, but Van Dijk acknowledged that the match was close, with both teams having opportunities to score.

READ ALSO: NPFL Matchday 24: Thrilling Football action unfolds

Klopp emphasized the intensity of matches against Manchester City and acknowledged that securing a point was a decent outcome. He encouraged his team to focus on the upcoming challenges and enjoy the journey ahead.


Liverpool, fueled by their goal and the return of Salah from injury, maintained their offensive pressure. Despite several opportunities, including chances by Luis Díaz, they couldn’t find the winning goal. In a dramatic ending, Doku hit the post in the final minutes of the game, adding to the tension and excitement of the match.

Stones reflected on the match, noting that Manchester City had opportunities to score early on but couldn’t convert them into goals. Despite the draw, both teams showed respect for each other.

The match marked potentially the last Premier League encounter between Guardiola and Klopp, as Klopp plans to depart the club at the end of the season. After the final whistle, they shared a long embrace, symbolizing the mutual respect between the two managers.

Guardiola emphasized that their respect didn’t require a hug to be shown, as their history and competitive spirit spoke volumes. He highlighted that with 10 games remaining in the season, many things could still unfold.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *