Lebanon receives French proposal to ease tensions with Israel at the border

Lebanon, on Tuesday reportedly received a written proposal from France that aims to halt border clashes between pro-Iranian Hezbollah fighters and Israeli soldiers.

An anonymous Lebanese government source said: “I can confirm that Lebanon received this proposal, which calls mainly for Hezbollah to withdraw its fighters around 10 kilometres from the border with Israel.

The document was delivered by French Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné, who visited Beirut last week.

The source added that the text was handed over to Lebanese Prime Minister Nagib Mikati, Lebanese Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib and House speaker Nabhi Berri, who is close to Hezbollah.

The French proposal is alleged to stipulate that Hezbollah will withdraw its elite fighters, mainly members of the Radwan brigade from areas close to the border with Israel in south Lebanon.

“Mainly the plan which was worked out by the United States, France, Egypt and Qatari officials calls for the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers to monitor this area”, the source said.

According to a source close to Hezbollah, “the proposal or a paper with suggestions from France and other sides in Europe was delivered, but not officially to Hezbollah”.

“We repeat our stance, which means that there will be no halt of attacks from southern Lebanon unless the aggression on Gaza is halted”, the source said.

The source added that the final word will come from Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah.

Nasrallah is scheduled to speak during a ceremony to honour the wounded fighters in his Shiite movement.

Tensions along the border have been high since the war erupted months ago between Israel and the Palestinian militant organisation Hamas in Gaza.

According to Hezbollah, which is allied with Hamas, 194 of its fighters have been killed since the current war started on October 7.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *