Three die in Philippines Catholic mass bomb attack

No fewer than three persons have reportedly lost their lives while seven injured in a bomb attack on a Catholic mass in the insurgency-plagued southern Philippines on Sunday.

Regional police, Chief Allan Nobleza said the blast happened during a regular service at Mindanao State University’s gymnasium in Marawi, the country’s largest Muslim city.

“We’re investigating if it’s an IED or grenade throwing”, Nobleza said, referring to an improvised explosive device.

Mindanao State University issued a statement condemning “the act of violence”, as it suspended classes and deployed more security personnel on the campus.

“We stand in solidarity with our Christian community and all those affected by this tragedy”, the university said in a statement.

Photos posted on the Lanao del` Sur provincial government’s Facebook page showed Governor Mamintal Adiong visiting “wounded victims of the bombing” at a medical facility.

The incident came after the Philippine military launched an air strike on Friday, that killed 11 Islamist militants from the Dawlah Islamiyah-Philippines organisation in Mindanao.

The military on Saturday, said the group had been planning to mount attacks in Maguindanao del Sur province.

Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao del Sur are part of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Militant attacks on buses, Catholic churches and public markets have been a feature of decades-long unrest in the region.

Manila signed a peace pact with the nation’s largest rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, in 2014, ending their deadly armed rebellion.

But smaller bands of Muslim fighters opposed to the peace deal remain, including militants professing allegiance to the Islamic State group. Communist rebels also operate in the region.

In May 2017, hundreds of pro-IS foreign and local gunmen seized Marawi.

The Philippine military wrested back the ruined city after a five-month battle that claimed more than a thousand lives.

Nobleza said police were investigating whether Sunday’s attack was linked to Friday’s air strike.

“Another line of inquiry was whether remnants of the Marawi siege by Maute and Abu Sayyaf militant groups were involved”, Nobleza said.

Crediblenews.ng

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *