In a harrowing incident in Ilorin, Kwara State, a destructive fire broke out early Saturday morning, consuming eight shops and causing an estimated N4.6 million worth of goods to be lost.
The incident occurred at No. 48 Basin Road, opposite CAC Church, in the Ilorin South Local Government Area of the state, creating a distressing scene for the affected shop owners.
According to Hassan Adekunle, the Head of Media and Publicity for the Kwara State Fire Service, the fire ignited around 2:06 am.
The source of the fire was identified as a power surge, a common yet hazardous occurrence that poses a significant threat to both residential and commercial spaces. The intensity of the flames quickly engulfed a block of eight shops, amplifying the scale of the disaster.
Fortunately, the swift response of the fire service played a crucial role in mitigating the catastrophe. Adekunle shared that the firemen acted promptly, arriving at the scene shortly after receiving the distress call.
Their remarkable skills and efficiency allowed them to bring the inferno under control by 2:20 am.
Despite the ferocity of the blaze, the fire service’s intervention prevented the complete destruction of all eight shops, limiting the damage to two of them.
Falade John, the Director of the State Fire Service, commended the courage and dedication of the fire service personnel who worked diligently to combat the fire.
In light of the incident, he took the opportunity to remind the public of the importance of responsible electrical usage.
John urged people to switch off electrical appliances when not in use to prevent power surges, emphasizing that such preventive measures could significantly reduce the risk of fire incidents.
The devastating impact of the fire serves as a poignant reminder of the vulnerability of businesses and livelihoods to unforeseen disasters.
The resilience of the affected shop owners and the prompt response of the fire service underscore the importance of community support and proactive measures in the face of emergencies.