The Federal Judicial Service Commission, FJSC, has nominated 21 justices of the Court of Appeal for elevation to the apex court.
The move follows the retirement of Justice Amina Augie, leaving the Supreme Court with 11 serving justices.
The list of nominees, as revealed in a document from the FJSC obtained by SaharaReporters, reflects a regional distribution.
Six of the nominees hail from the North-Central region, while the South-West and South-South each have two nominees.
The South-East region boasts five nominees, and the North-East has two representatives.
The reduction in the number of justices at the Supreme Court prompted the FJSC to take action, ensuring a more comprehensive representation on the highest court. As the NJC evaluates and considers the nominations, the potential elevation of these justices to the Supreme Court holds implications for the future of judicial decisions and legal precedents in Nigeria.
The nominations mark a pivotal moment in shaping the country’s legal landscape, and the ensuing decisions will likely influence the trajectory of justice in the nation.
The nominees are as follows:
(1) SOUTH EAST
1. Hon Justice Nwaoma Uwa (Abia State)-Priority 1A.Hon Justice Onyekachi Otisi (Abia State) -Reserve
2. Hon Justice Obande Ogbuinya (Ebonyi State)-Priority
3. Hon Justice Theresa Orji-Abadua (Imo State)- Reserve
4. Hon Justice Anthony Ogakwu (Enugu State)-Priority
5. Hon Justice Chioma Nwosu-lheme (Imo State)-Reserve
(2) SOUTH SOUTH
- Hon Justice Moore Adumein (Bayelsa State)-Priority
2. Hon Justice Biobele Georgewill (Rivers State)-Reserve
(3) SOUTH WEST
- Hon Justice Adewale Abiru (Lagos State)-Priority
2. Hon Justice Olubunmi Oyewole (Osun State)-Reserve
(4) NORTH CENTRAL
- Hon Jummai Sankey (Plateau State)-Priority
2. Hon Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Sirajo (Plateau)-Reserve
3. Hon Justice Stephen Adah (Kogi State)-Priority
4. Hon Justice Ridman Maiwada Abdullahi (Nassarawa State) -Reserve
5. Hon Justice Baba Idris (Niger State)-Priority
6. Hon Justice Joseph Ikyegh (Benue State)-Reserve
(5) NORTH EAST
- Hon Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani (Bauchi State)-Priority
2 Hon Justice Abubakar Talba (Adamawa State)
(6) NORTH WEST
1. Hon Justice Muhammad Lawal Shuaibu (Jigawa State)-Priority
2. Hon Justice Bello Aliyu (Zamfara State) -Reserve
3. Hon Justice Abubakar Sadiq Umar (Kebbi State)-Priority
4. Hon Justice Abdullahi Mahmud Bayero (Kano State)-Reserve