The Federal Government, on Monday, confirmed the first case of Anthrax, a disease which is caused by a spore-forming bacterium, which mostly affects livestock like cattle, sheep, and goats, in Nigeria.
The Chief Veterinary Officer of Nigeria, Dr. Columba T. Vakuru disclosed that animals showing signs of a possible case of anthrax on a farm in Niger State, were reported to the Office of the Chief Veterinary Officer of Nigeria on July 14, 2023.
Vakuru said that the case was in a multi-specie animal farm comprising of cattle, sheep and goats located at Gajiri, along Abuja-Kaduna Express way, Suleja LGA in Niger State where some of the animals had symptoms including oozing of blood from their body openings such as the anus, nose, eyes and ears.
“A Rapid Response team comprising of Federal and States One Health Professional Team visited the farm to conduct preliminary investigations and collected samples from the sick animals.
“Subsequent laboratory tests by the National Veterinary Research Institute laboratory confirmed the diagnosis, marking the first recorded case of anthrax in Nigeria in recent years”, the statement read in part.
Credible News recalls that the Federal Government issued a warning to Nigerians last week after learning of an anthrax outbreak in Northern Ghana where all infected animals had died, advising Nigerians to desist from the consumption of hides, otherwise known as “ponmo”.
“The blood of an anthrax-infected animal does not clot. Do not process or move the dead or sick animal, quickly report to your veterinary doctor or veterinary authorities at the ministry of agriculture in your state”, the Federal Government had advised.
Credible News reports that Anthrax is caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus, which mostly affects livestock like cattle, sheep, and goats. However, it can also infect people who come into contact with infected people or contaminated animal products like meat, wool, or skins.
Anthrax that spreads via the skin might result through open wounds or contact with contaminated objects, while anthrax that spreads through the air can happen when spores are inhaled.